CASUALTIES RECORDED IN 1996
Journalists and Media Workers killed in War Zones and other hostile areas in 1996
This list provides name, country where death occurred, nationality, occupation and brief note of circumstances.
(f) indicates that the person killed was a woman
1. Chaikova (f) - Russia (Chechnya) - Russian. Obshachaya Gazeta newspaper reporter. Blindfolded, beaten and shot.
2. Yagodin - Russia (Chechnya). Reporter for Na Boevon Postu. Ambushed & killed by Chechen fighters.
3. Pimenov - Russia (Chechnya) - Chechen. Cameraman for Vaynakh TV. Shot by sniper in Grozny.
4. Yefimova (f) - Russia (Chechnya) - Chechen. Vozrozhdeniye newspaper reporter. Kidnapped with mother and shot.
5. Khadzhiyev - Russia (Chechnya) - Chechen. ORT reporter, shot by Russian military while travelling with his wife and 4-year-old child.